Sunday, June 5, 2011

Restored Joy

“Restore in me the joy of your salvation.” Psalms 51:12

Here I am in Fort Walton, Florida, a week into Beach Project. There is much to say, but the main thing that sticks out in my mind is when my friend Lucy Walker and I shared Christ with Ed from the candle shop. We had been walking around the stores for a while trying to talk with people, and had gotten a little discouraged. Yet with 20 minutes to go until we were supposed to leave, we met Ed. He is a middle-aged man who’s lived in Florida all his life. He noticed from the beginning that we were kind and viewed him as a person, not the way the tourists would go into the shop and not even look at him.
Lucy Walker and I talked with him for a good while about why we were here and the Grace that God has given to us. He just seemed very lonely and sad. When we were explaining about how Christ has not only saved us from our sin, but also from our failed attempts to do good, he said, “yall are too hard on yourselves.” But at that moment God gave me so much joy.
I’m not hard on myself, it’s the truth that without Christ, I’m doomed, deserving Hell, yet he made a way for me to get to Him through the blood of His son. What joyous love and salvation that we can partake in! If only Ed and so many others could experience the love and joy of Christ! I pray that God continues to open the doors for us to share of the joy of our salvation.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel!
    Thanks for sharing! So great to hear how the Lord is moving in Fort Walton *same mission different place* love you sister, praying for you and now for ed!

    ReplyDelete