Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it. Luke 18:17
I just returned from helping clean up a friend's aunt's house in Phil Campbell. It was destroyed by the tornado and a group of nearly 30 UNA students went to clean up for the day. It was so sad to see the horrible damage of the houses and lives of those people, but the thing that was the most sad was when I saw children playing in it.
There was a little boy at the house we were cleaning up, and he had no clue how terrible things were. I'm sure that that is a good thing. He just played around as he normally would. I brought him back a stuffed dog that I found in a pile of stuffed animals scattered on the road because they had been ripped out of their houses. He was so delighted to see it and play with it.
As we drove out of Phil Campbell, I also saw two girls playing frisbee outside of a completely demolished house. There was no roof, no walls, nothing inside, just a foundation. It was such a surreal mental picture. Everything else had crumbled away, yet here were these girls living their lives on like it was a normal day.
I kept thinking, how is this even possible? Do they not see the rubble? Are they not worried about their house being totally gone? Then I realized: these children have parents who love them and take care of them. Their parents protect them and and have their best interest in mind. The children trust that despite the storms and devastation, that everything is going to be ok.
Oh, God, may I have this kind of faith! I so often want to be the "adult" and worry about every detail of my future. I want to plan ahead so I can figure it all out. When devastation happens, I look up and wonder why these things happen, and fear wht the next step is. Forgive me for trying to do this without the faith of a child. You are my Father, and You have my best interest in mind. Let me trust in You to provide and protect me. That You have my best interest in mind. Help us not to be so caught up in the Whys that we forget the Who, which is You. You are in charge, and You have a bigger plan for us. Thank You for loving us enough to be our DAD.
No comments:
Post a Comment